Monday, April 4, 2011

Calm and Quiet


Rarely do we have a Saturday morning to sleep in, have a home-cooked breakfast and sit and enjoy the calmness of the day. Most Saturdays begin with my feet hitting the floor and running. This past Saturday, however, was not like most, and I was grateful for the calm and quiet.

Walking to the coffee pot (my morning must), I thought I would sit outside, read and have some quiet time. I found that my days work so much better when I start off like this......(I have to confess....most mornings find me acting like a crazy mom running all over gathering up the day's supplies to make it to bed time.)


After a few quiet minutes alone I heard a little 7 year old (who happens to steal my heart each time I look at him....ok, so maybe not when he's being a stinker-ha), come through the door and want to paint, play, etc. I sat back and watched his creativity unveil and come up with many uses for random objects around the yard. The night before we went to a sweet friend's b-day party and the kids received balloons in addition to the favors. Cameron came outside and creatively placed this balloon's string into the ground to be suspended above the grass swaying in the breeze. I took a picture of it because it seemed to fit the morning.........perfectly. It was so calm and quiet, and the balloon, with the world around it, danced above the ground in a soft, swaying motion. Then I thought of the balloon as one of us........




I want to be like that balloon......peaceful, calm, and quiet with the world still spinning around.


1 comment: